The Great Purolator Heist

Purolator Truck

Oct. 21, 1974—Purolator truck blocks drive while police process crime scene.

On Monday, October 21st, 1974 shortly after 1:00 AM, a heat alarm began blinking on a console at the Wells Fargo Central Alarm Company. It indicated excessive temperature in one of two money vaults at the nearby Purolator Armored Express building. Wells Fargo notified the Chicago Fire Department alarm office on the first floor of Chicago’s city hall as well as an official of Purolator. Responding firemen were met at the door by a Purolator guard, armed with a shotgun. The guard, Ralph Marerra, 31, initially refused them entrance, insisting he had no indication of trouble and he was not authorized to admit anyone to the building. That was quickly resolved with the arrival of the Purolator executive.

Upon opening the vaults, firemen were greeted with heat and heavy smoke. Inside the vaults they found gasoline bombs attached to time delay fuses. Only a portion of the gasoline bombs ignited as lack of air in the vaults had quickly extinguished the flames. Purolator officials and police quickly determined that a burglary had taken place and the fires set to cover the crime.

Later that morning, Chicagoans awoke to muddled news accounts of a fire and possible theft at the Purolator Armored Express vaults on the near north side at 127 West Huron Street. When the facts all shook out of the initial confusion it would become the largest cash heist in the history of the world; some $4.3 million in unmarked bills, weighing over 700 pounds had vanished. As a cop of course I devoured all the news accounts of the burglary but I was homicide and reading about it was as close as I would get to the case… or so I thought.

Early on, the thieves were just half a step ahead of Chicago, state and federal law enforcement—but in the first few days that half step was enough to enable them to secrete some of the cash locally and physically move a large portion to the Cayman Islands. But by Thursday the 24th, a task force of local and federal agencies was formed to play catch-up and avoid duplication of efforts. On Sunday, the 27th authorities made their first arrest; the Purolator guard on duty at the time of the theft was arrested at his mother-in-law’s home in Oak Park by Chicago Police and FBI agents.

As the first arrestee in the case, Ralph Marerra was considered to be at risk. He was the inside man and no doubt knew details of the overall plan as well as exactly who was involved. He would be a prime target for people who would want to silence him as well as those who might want to squeeze him for information on the location of the loot. Federal Marshall’s refused to disclose where he was being held except to say that he was “under tight security at a military installation near Chicago.” As dramatic as that sounded, in reality, Ralph Marerra was being held at the Winnebago County Jail in Rockford.

Federal indictments and arrests quickly followed in the subsequent weeks and ultimately 6 individuals were arrested and charged with the Great Purolator Heist. On Thursday, November 21st the FBI recovered $1.4 million under freshly laid concrete in Marerra’s grandmother’s home.

With everyone charged and in custody I fully expected the case to slowly grind its way through the courts, but on Thursday November 29th Ralph Marerra attempted suicide at the Winnebago County jail. Although he was not seriously injured in the attempt, he was promptly transferred to the Cermak Memorial Hospital at the Cook County jail. On Thursday December 5th, my partner Mike and I were ushered into a closed door meeting with our Area Four Homicide Commander.

“You guys been following this Purolator thing?” he asked.

“Just what we read in the newspapers.” was our response.

“Well you’re about to get involved. You know he attempted to hang himself at the Winnebago County Jail and was transferred to Cermak.”

We craned our necks to view a Hospitalization Case Report that was sitting on his desk. This type of report was a catch-all that was used to record unexplained deaths, suicides and attempted suicides among other things. A Hospitalization Case very often provided homicide detectives with interesting investigations that did not involve murder. See “Suicide by Ulcer” on this blog.

“A Hospitalization Case?” I exclaimed. “That happened in Winnebago County—it’s theirs!”

“Will you just calm down and let me explain?” said the boss as he quickly turned the case report face down. “Since early this morning Marerra has been in Intensive Care at the Cook County Hospital—he’s in a coma and in critical condition. And just to stir the pot, our very own Cook County State’s Attorney just held a news conference and said he thinks Marerra was poisoned. So… since he’s been at Cermak for this past week, that makes it ours… or I should say ‘yours.’”

He smiled as he slid the paper across to us. Mike and I scanned the case report in seconds—it told us nothing except that Marerra had been transferred from Cermak to County Hospital.

“Look,” said our Commander. “This is a heater case—there’s a lot of people that would like to see Marerra dead. He may die. We need to get a jump on this. I’ll give you free reign and whatever help you may need, but we need to find out exactly what happened to him at Cermak. If he dies, we’ll have to regroup and meet with the feds. They’re pretty much running the rest of it but we’ll be doing any homicide investigation. Murder is not a federal crime.”

“Listen,” he paused and looked directly at the two of us. “Do it right… wherever it takes you. There’s going to be a lot of people looking at your report. Understood?”

Mike and I nodded solemnly.

One of the neat things about working homicide was that it often forced you to develop microcosms of expertise in order to understand what you were dealing with. This would be one of those cases.

“We’ll need to start at Cermak,” I said. “It’s kinda the crime scene—using the term loosely.”

“They’re expecting you,” he said with a smile that indicated he had anticipated us. “I called the warden, use his name when you get to the gate.”

Warden or not, getting into a jail is almost as difficult as getting out. Mike and I surrendered our weapons, extra bullets and handcuffs and then were subjected to a thorough search before being assigned a guard to escort us to the Cermak Hospital section of the institution. We traversed countless corridors and massive sliding barred doors before arriving at our destination.

The medical staff was subdued but cooperative. At that point in time they also had no idea what had happened to Ralph Marerra while he was in their care. Having attempted suicide in Winnebago County he was placed in restraints once he arrived at Cermak. He was agitated and he was administered drugs to calm him. His room was small and the windows were covered with a heavy mesh screen. Immediately under the window was a radiator that emitted an enormous amount of heat. Even though it was December the room was stifling hot. The nurses explained that the heating system was either full on or full off and on more moderate days all the rooms became very warm.

We learned that Marerra was being medicated with Thorazine, a tranquilizer with a sedating effect and Cogentin, used ostensibly to reduce the side effects of the Throrazine.

On the evening of Wednesday December 4th, Marerra developed a 106º fever, and began to suffer seizures. While nurses sponged him and arrangements were being made to transport him to Cook County Hospital he became comatose and was in critical condition by the time he arrived at the County Hospital intensive care unit.

The medical staff at both Cermak and County were aware that Ralph Marerra was an “at risk” inmate because of the nature of charges against him. They immediately sequestered the drug containers from which he was being medicated. At the Cermak Hospital they impounded the food stuffs that had been served to the inmates. At County Hospital blood, urine and gastric contents were collected for analysis. All samples were sent to the Hektoen Institute, a medical research facility, where the samples would be independently tested. For the time being the bases were covered and we played the waiting game for test results.

Back at our office, Mike and I broke open our personal copy of the Physician’s Desk Reference. In those pre-internet days, the PDR was a dictionary size tome listing all drugs commonly in use by the medical community. The reference book listed dosage, indications, contraindications, precautions and side effects for each drug. We looked up both Thorazine and Cogentin.

The Thorzine precautions stated in part: “Use with caution in persons who will be exposed to extreme heat…”

The Cogentin precautions stated in part: “Cogentin may produce anhidrosis . For this reason it should be given with caution in hot weather.”

We couldn’t find any dictionary with the word anhidrosis so we headed to our primary medical advice resource, the Cook County Morgue, where we collared our favorite neighborhood pathologist. We learned that anhidrosis was the inability to sweat, which could lead to overheating and sometimes to heatstroke—a potentially fatal condition. Could it be that Ralph Marerra suffered a medically induced heatstroke in that extremely warm room at the Cermak Hospital?

“Most likely,” opined the pathologist “But don’t quote me.”

The pieces were falling into place but at this point in time we had no choice but to wait for the lab results from Hektoen Institute.

Four days later the results were in and we interviewed the Chief of Toxicology. She told us that all tests had been completed with no surprises. Marerra’s blood and urine showed levels of Thorazine and Cogentin that would be commensurate with the doses being administered. No traces of any other drugs were found. The containers for the drugs showed them to be pure and of the proper strength. Gastric contents and foodstuffs were negative for any type of spoilage or adulteration. She agreed with our theory of a medically induced heatstroke but she stopped short of letting us use it in our report.

“It wouldn’t be appropriate for me to offer that opinion in an official capacity.” she told us.

So now we had two expert medical interviews that corroborated our “medically induced heatstroke theory,” but neither would go on the record for our official report. There was high placed, authoritative medical agreement as to what had occurred, but knowing it and being able to put it on paper was proving to be a stumbling block. We needed a medical professional willing to authenticate what we knew.

We had one more interview to attempt to officially confirm our theory; the Chief of Medicine at the Cook County Hospital. Mike and I had crossed paths with him on numerous occasions as he practiced hands-on care at County’s Trauma Unit. His medical skill was a phenomenon to watch.

The Chief had been expecting us and he had reviewed the charts. We looked at all the official test results with him and he concurred with those conclusions. There was a pause… this was it… we had to put forth our admittedly layman’s theory for his consideration. We laid it out and then, after several moments of chin stroking, the Chief of Medicine agreed to craft a statement that we could include in our report:

“The symptoms exhibited by Marerra upon his arrival at Cook County Hospital were consistent with those that might be observed in a patient suffering from an anhidrosis due to the cumulative effects of the drugs and a warmer than average ambient temperature of his room. Absent any toxicological evidence to the contrary, this appears to be the best medical explanation available.”

Less than a week after being assigned to the case, Mike and I sat down to type our final report. We had developed a very rudimentary knowledge of Thorazine and Cogentin. We learned more than we ever wanted to know about anhidrosis. Before this case, we had never heard of the Hektoen Institute and the advanced work they did in clinical investigations. Our very small part of The Great Purolator Heist investigation was complete and when we put the pieces together we felt confident we had determined what had happened to Ralph Marerra that fateful week in December, 1974. We felt good when we typed the final line:

Case closed. Non-criminal in nature.


In 1974, this case was the largest cash theft in the history of the world. It has since been surpassed.

Ralph Marerra recovered from his medical ordeal but was left with permanent disabilities both to his speech and his ability to walk.

In March of 1983 he was the last of the group to be convicted for his part in the Purolator heist. He was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison, but with credit for time in custody he was paroled in 1989.

In December 1996, in connection with this incident, Marerra was awarded $650,000 in a medical malpractice suit against Cook County.

As of this writing, of the $4.3 million stolen, $1.2 million has never been recovered.


29 Comments on “The Great Purolator Heist”

  1. What were the names of the other burglars involved in this case? I used to know but the years and my lousy memory fail me now. Thanks!

    • Barry Felcher, NBC 5 News, retired says:

      I remember when about $1-million of the loot was recovered. It was spread out on a huge table in the Chicago F.B.I. office for members of the press, including myself to view and photograph. Talk about drooling…I was hoping one of the agents would turn their back for a few seconds, but they didn’t!

      • jimpadar says:

        There’s a picture of that… I came across it while researching this story. It was in the October 19th, 1975 Chicago Tribune. They were doing a “one year later” feature story.

        Thanks Barry!

    • jimpadar says:

      The Purolator scorecard:

      Peter Gushi, 47, mastermind?
      Pasquale (Patsy) Marzano, 42, the alarm man
      William A. (Tony) Marzano, 32
      Luigi (Lou) DiFonzo,27, financial guy
      James Maniatis, 59, provided the van to haul the money
      Ralph Marerra, 31, inside man

      All were convicted except DiFonzo, who was caught red-handed depositing millions in Cayman Island banks. His defense was he did not know the money was stolen and the jury bought it.

      Thanks for the read and comment Andy!

    • mike stark says:

      That’s easy! I was in several Federal prisons for some years starting in Feb ’76. Pre-trial for me was detention at MCC on Van Buren in Chicago. I couldn’t make the astronomical bail for my charge- one of several bombing charges eventually leveled at me. Anyway, an inmate held there up from, I think, Marion whose name was Charlie Marzano. He was here to go to court on his post-conviction work to get reversed ( he got his time reduced, at least). He was the mastermind. His brother was with him on it, and several other guys I don’t know the names of. His brother wrote a book on it. Most interesting! Charlie was a straight-out Italian guy-no mention of his charges or case! He’s talk sports and trivia-that’s it. Talked to him, never got to know him much at all…

  2. Jo-Anne Wolfson says:

    The other D’s were two Marzano cousins and Luigi diFonzo.

    I represented Ralph Marerra from the time of his arrest until (trial) Judge Bauer ruled that Marerra’s disabilities rendered him incompetent to stand trial. (c.f., “Chicago Heist,” John O’Brien.)

    Ralph ran his dad’s courthouse parking lot at 26th and Cal, was hustling outside in all kinds of weather, wouldn’t take an aspirin for a cold. From the time he was held in Rockford, he complained that “food tasted sh—–y” and that he felt “funny.”

    At first, the suicide attempt was given short shrift by the feds; it seems that Marerra’s father had a section 8 Army discharge because of attempt suicide, and you can fill in the blanks. But after Ralph was taken from Cook County jail to Cook County Hospital in a decerebrate coma, authorities started playing heads-up ball.

    About this time, 1.something mil was dug up in Ralph’s grandmother’s basement and everyone went bonkers.

    When the”official” diagnosis was thorazine-administered-in-a-warm-room, suspicion on the dark side rose to a near palace revolt. Quentin Young, CCH Chief, told me that was the best caption that could be put on it — I wish I’d had the sense to call Area 4 and ask who was using the PDR.

    I mean, who knew?

    Thanks for this piece — always enjoy reading On Being a Cop.

    Jo-Anne Wolfson

    • jimpadar says:

      So now you know, ’twas Mike and I reading the PDR. 🙂

      The neat thing about this case was Mike and I were given orders to “just find out what happened.” No caveats, no scared cows, just the facts ‘mam. In a way, it’s too bad that it resolved so simply and quickly. Had there been a complex conspiracy, maybe I’d be writing a book now instead of a short story, to be included in my book for sure, but never-the-less just a short story.

      The medical community was unanimous in support of the “anhidrosis due to medication” diagnosis,” but none of them would allow us to quote them. Enter Quentin Young, a remarkable man indeed, who was not afraid to make waves and call’em as he saw’em. Although he was meticulous in the wording, he had the intestinal fortitude to allow us to quote him.

      Mike and I coined the term “drug induced heatstroke” but it never caught on with the medicos… perhaps it was too straight forward and easy to understand.

      Thanks for reading the blog Jo-Anne and special thanks for your comment.



  3. While we were attending roll call in the old 018 district (a few hundred feet from the Purolator garage)There was a small boom heard on the 2nd floor of 018. Cops being cops (after ducking) started the usual wisecracks. One copper said the clients at Catholic Charities (across Superior) finally revolted and tried to take over, One buddy said it might be Purolator and everybody cracked up. After Capt Nolan told us to settle down in his own fantastic way, we hit the streets and didn’t find out the truth for hours.

  4. Worked the 010th district from mid 70’s to mid 90’s before transferring to 005th district. Always enjoy reading the dips into your memory. Keep ’em coming…..Thanks.

  5. Jay says:

    Ralph recovered enough to attempt a burglary in Forest Park in 1982. Some of the guys’ wives were spending money like crazy in Berwyn a week after the job and there wasn’t much surprise there when they got bagged.

    • jimpadar says:

      You are correct! The burglary in January of 1982 was the tipping point for Ralph. After some confusion on his fingerprints, he was identified as Ralph Marerra. It was only then the the feds discovered that he had been missing from his nursing home for three years. He was found competent to stand trial and was convicted for his part in the Purolator job and sentenced to 20 years in prison in March of 1983. He was the last of the crew to be convicted—almost 10 years after the crime. Thanks for reading and commenting Jay!

      • Jim says:

        Jim, as I recall it was in February 1982 as I was the Forest Park Police Officer who responded to the alarm at a television store and found Marerra, using the name Ralph Santangelo, hiding in a car in the parking lot with a two way radio. The other radio had been dropped in the store by the burglar. Took a day or two for his prints to come back and confirm his true identity. Good memories!

  6. […] States history. Over four million dollars was stolen from the Purolator Armored express building. According to retired Chicago police officer, Jim Padar, six individuals, primarily organized crime members, were arrested and charged. All of the money […]

  7. Mike says:

    A fascinating story and brilliantly wrote. Can I ask, I believe John Keehan (AKA Count Dante) was rumored to have been involved or was at least on the FBI’s radar. Why was this?

  8. don mustaccio says:

    i have been working on trying to get this caper made into a movie for 15 years, have not had any luck in getting the financing.

    • jimpadar says:

      It’s a fascinating story with a great deal of raw material (press and court documents) and super visuals. It would seem like a natural to me.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      • don mustaccio says:

        i thought it would make a very good movie, i had some great actors who wanted to do the movie, but it all came down to financing, i wish i could have gotten the financing

    • Matthew says:

      Mr. Don Mustaccio,
      Can you please contact me? I have someone who would like to speak with you (he doesn’t use computers). I showed him this article and he read your comments and would like to speak with you. My email is

    • Matthew says:

      Mr. Mustaccio,
      Please contact me. I have someone who would really like to speak with you. He doesn’t use computers and asked me to reach out after I gave him this article and comments to read. My email is

  9. edward says:

    I was on the jury that convicted Ralph. He was a real loud, sob always interrupting the process. The judge threatened him with restraints more than once. Interesting note is that the FBI retired agent Johnson got off the stand after testifying, stared at Ralph from about one foot away for about five minutes then left. Loved the passion of Johnson and the drama he created without a word.

  10. Charles O'Donnell says:

    I’m surprised that this heist not mentioned in top ten heists. I believe there was more money than the Luftansa heist in New York 1978.

  11. Hannah Ross says:

    Patsy is my grandpa. Go gramps!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s