Shootout at the High Roller’s Pool Hall

 Note: Communications tapes of this incident are included at the end of this story.

“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”

— General James (Mad Dog) Mattis

It was 1974 on a cold February afternoon in Chicago as I headed for the 4:30 roll call at Maxwell Street, Area Four Detective Headquarters. The red brick building at Maxwell and Morgan was built in 1889 and was a classic old Chicago Police Station. The single long flight of marble steps leading to the second floor detective squad room had paths worn an inch or two deep at each side rail where cops with bad guys in tow had trudged over the previous 85 years. It would become known to a nation of television fans as the “Hill Street Blues”  precinct because this is where the opening scenes of the popular 1980’s show were filmed. To those of us who worked the murders it was just Maxwell Street Homicide.

I would be with my steady partner Mike Shull. Mike and I worked together with comfort and confidence that had developed after spending many months together, cruising the west side in search of the killer du jour. And as a bonus he had an offbeat, intellectual sense of humor that made our hours together pass quickly.

“Padar, Shull… you’ve got 13,” announced the sergeant as he read the assignment sheet. That meant our radio call for evening would be 7413. Seven designated the Detective Division, four was Area Four, and thirteen would be our homicide car for the eight-hour tour. It wouldn’t be the last time that the number 13 figured in events of the night.

As was customary, incoming cases would be rotated among all the homicide units working that night. My wife, already hospitalized, was scheduled for surgery early the following morning and I wanted to be sure to visit with her before they took her to the OR. We asked the sergeant for the first assignment of the night so as to lessen the chance of getting stuck with a late job. He obliged us a little over an hour later with a shooting victim at the Cook County Hospital. We interviewed the victim of a minor gunshot wound along with two witnesses, put out an all-call for the offender and stopped by a few locations he was known to frequent. Being a chilly February night it was highly unlikely that we would draw another assignment. Our chances of having to work overtime were now very slim.

As the tour of duty drew to a close, a forecast “light snow” started to dust the drab west side landscape. Mike and I decided to make one last semi-circle of the Area and then head into the office for the 12:30 AM check-off roll call. I’d be home and in bed by 1 AM. It was shortly after midnight and the radio was dead quiet and the streets were deserted as we coasted to a stop at the westbound traffic light at Madison and Homan. A man ran down the center of the street and when his feet hit the ground there was a momentary puff of the new fallen snow. He left a trail of giant footprints running straight toward our car. As a long time ghetto resident, he could spot an unmarked squad at a hundred yards.

Mike glanced at me as Mr. Citizen approached our car; “This guy done jus’ got robbed.” said Mike.

I rolled down my driver’s window. It was exactly 13 minutes past midnight. In police time, 0013 hours.

“In da pool hall! Dey dere right now stickin’ up everybody!”

“How many are there?” I asked.

“Dey’s like fo’ of em. An’ dey got guns!”

“Okay, okay we got it.” I replied as I picked up the mike from the dashboard. “Seventy-four-thirteen emergency.”

“Go ahead seven-four-one three,” was the instant response from our City Wide 2 dispatcher.

“Yeah, there’s a robbery-in-progress…” I glanced across Homan to the south side of the street through the snow. No chance of getting an address. “…at Madison and Homan in the pool hall.”

I killed the headlights and pulled our car slowly across Homan to the north curb of Madison directly across from the pool hall.

“Madison and Homan in the pool hall, a robbery-in-progress,” barked the dispatcher.

A moment before Mike and I could have believed we were the only police unit on the streets of Chicago’s west side but the quiet radio jumped to life as the Task Force and Canine Units on our frequency responded in a flurry of overlapping jumbled transmissions, sirens screaming in the background. There was lots of help out there!

City-wide dispatch took the air again, “All right, quite a few units pretty close to that, they’re comin’ there, so units be careful now, that’s a robbery-in-progress called in by seven-four-one- three, that’s a homicide car. Madison and Homan in the pool hall.”

Those were the last words we heard as we got out of the car, leaving our communications firmly affixed to control head mounted under the dashboard. In 1974 the department was in the final stages of transitioning from car-mounted radios to personal radios that would clip to your equipment belt. The Detective Division was last on the list for the new radios. In the parlance of the day, we were “leaving the air.”

As we left the squad, we looked across the street at the “High Roller’s #4 Pool Hall.” The plate glass windows were completely fogged with condensation. It would be best to stay on the north side of the street and use the squad for at least partial cover. Mike and I drew our 2″ barrel, five shot, snub nose revolvers and rested our arms on the roof of the car as we peered intently through the light snow at the doorway of the pool hall. A total of ten rounds of ammo against four armed robbers seemed to put us at a decided disadvantage. By now our city-wide dispatcher had notified the district dispatcher and in the distance we heard the distinctive wail of city-wide and district units approaching. Good ol’ Area Four! But for a few seconds the scene was almost idyllic; the red neon of the pool hall reflecting on the undisturbed snow softly falling on a deserted tranquil street. It would have made a great urban streetscape painting that you might find in an upscale gallery on North Michigan Avenue.

We didn’t have long to wait before all that changed. Four robbers with dark clothing strangely punctuated with red ski masks burst through the door onto the sidewalk, broad shouldering each other as they competed for space in their haste to exit.

“Halt, police!” We yelled to the very much-surprised group. They paused in a moment of indecision. One of them raised a weapon, and fired a shot in our direction. It went wild into the park behind Mike and me. They too heard the sirens in the distance and while I have no way of knowing if it figured into their decision, they turned east and as a group fled southeast through the parking lot next to the pool hall. Using the squad roof to steady our arms and with a firm two handed grip, Mike and I squeezed off several rounds. The department’s regulation high pressure ammunition was designed for four inch barrel revolvers and as a result each round squeezed out of the two inch snub-nose seemed to envelop my hands in a burst of flame and unburnt powder as it spewed from the cylinder and barrel. One, two, three rounds I counted and 16-year-old Tyree Brewston hit the ground as if a Bears fullback had hit him. In reality it was only a 38 Special +P Hollow Point entering his left buttock and exiting his scrotum. Tyree wasn’t going any further tonight but his older companions fled south on Homan never looking back. I made a mental note that I had only two rounds left if should they return for their wounded companion. In retrospect it was a ludicrous thought… attempting to imply a Marine mentality to a rag-tag group of ghetto robbers. I fingered the bullet pouch on my belt for a split second but the approaching sirens convinced me that a reload would not be necessary.

The first assist unit was now pulling up, westbound on Madison. They stopped between the parking lot and us. Fate ruled that they just happened to be a canine unit. With a light snow falling, and two dogs, pursuit shouldn’t be a trick.

“Shots fired, shots fired!” I shouted to them. “We’ve got one down in the parking lot.” I was hoping that they would relay the information to dispatch. Our radio was firmly attached inside our locked vehicle. Unfortunately that did not happen. With a fluid situation that was still developing, the initial units arriving elected to take care of business on the street and pursue the escaping robbers. The result was several minutes of confusion for the poor dispatchers. The second assist unit was a district beat car and they cautiously approached Tyree who lay writhing in the snow. They collared a passing wagon for transport to the hospital. Mike and I headed into the pool hall. We had just shot a guy. The next order of business was to corral victims and witnesses and phone our boss!

Time swirled around us. The scene was almost surreal but neither Mike nor I would recall any excitement or panic. Behind the scenes our citywide dispatcher had notified the district zone dispatcher of the robbery-in-progress, still unaware that shots had been fired. Additional 11th District beat cars were en route from all directions. The wagon loaded up Tyree and headed to Mount Sinai Hospital. As more beat cars arrived with lights and sirens the street was literally wall-to-wall squad cars parked askew, mars lights still flashing. The previous scene of a lone unmarked homicide car pulling quietly to the curb had been transformed in a matter of a few moments to one worthy of the ten o’clock news. Given the hour however the news crews were thankfully tucked in for the night.

We started to gather vital information, victims, witnesses, and addresses. Canine and Task Force reported apprehending two additional offenders. It was becoming apparent that several of our robbery victims and witnesses had disappeared in the confusion. Our concern was very real… we had just shot a man and our cast of eyewitnesses was slipping away. We heard some talk that the canine unit had also recovered a weapon. In the pool hall Mike grabbed a personal radio from a district officer.

“Seventy-four-thirteen on the Zone…” Mike called.

“Seventy-four thirteen go ahead,” responded the District dispatcher.

“We’re here at the scene of the robbery in the pool hall, and any beat cars that are out in this area workin’ on this, would they bring the patrons back to this location for interview. Any of those beat cars that have any of those patrons and victims of the robbery would they please bring them back to the scene.”

Out of a packed pool hall of multiple victims we would wind up with only six robbery complainants/witnesses. Weeks later, only one would show up in court to testify to the robbery.

It was a full 18 minutes before we were able to return to our radio and give a report to our City-Wide 2 dispatcher.

Outside once again in our squad I keyed the mike, “Seven-four-one-three, do we have the canine car that recovered that weapon from that robbery-in-progress? Please return to the scene here with that weapon.”

“Yeah he is on the way to ya and also four-thirteen clarify… were there shots fired by the police?

It was now almost 20 minutes into the incident and our citywide dispatcher and the district dispatcher had no details of the shooting. The ten year old “state of the art” communications center was located in the headquarters building just south of Chicago’s loop. District zone dispatchers were housed on one floor and the city-wide dispatchers were on another floor and the detective units at the scene had radios, but they were firmly anchored to the dashboard of their vehicles. Such was the state of Chicago Police communications in the mid-seventies.

“Yes, there were shots fired by the police,” I replied “…and there is one offender who is hit, he is on his way to Mount Sinai Hospital, his condition appears to be good at the present time.”

“All right, is this by four-thirteen?”

“The shots were fired by four-thirteen, that is correct.”

“All right, were there any shots fired back at the police?”

“Yes sir, there were shots fired at us,” I said.

“All right that’s what I had to find out here… ah four-thirteen… there’s no police officers injured though?”

“Negative, no police officers injured.”

There was a flurry of questions, who was going where, command personnel who were responding and then there was a momentary break in radio traffic. An anonymous unit broke silence.

“Police one… offenders nothing”

Back at the Maxwell Street station there was all the fanfare that accompanies a police shooting; Commanders, Deputy Superintendents, Internal Affairs, States Attorneys, and a court reporter to take official statements from Mike and me. We would later recall that we probably experienced more stress during the next several hours than we did in those fateful few seconds on West Madison Street.

The “occasional snow” continued falling throughout the night. I glanced anxiously at my watch. It was after 5 AM and my wife’s surgery was scheduled in less than three hours. I felt a need to go home before heading for the hospital and the snow would be a problem. After a few consultations the bosses agreed to let Mike complete the remaining paperwork and I was released from my tour of duty shortly after 5:30 AM.

The occasional snow now amounted to several inches but I hit the expressway before the rush hour and made it home while it was still dark. In the bathroom I scrubbed my hands vigorously and discovered tiny reddish black marks that burned under the soap and brush. I dashed cold water in my face and then I tiptoed into the boy’s room and touched each one of them. Chris 5, Craig 3½, and Jay just 8 weeks old were sleeping soundly. I stroked their backs ever so gently. For the first time I felt some emotion as tears welled up. I brushed my eyes and was surprised at the faint smell of gunpowder residue that remained on my hands.

My mother-in-law was taking care of the children… “Jim?” she called from the other bedroom. “Are you okay?”

I moved to the hallway before answering, “Yes,” I whispered. “I had to work late… it’s snowing pretty good. I’m heading out to the hospital.”

It was going to be along day.

Notes on the communications tapes

 The communications tapes here are an edited composite of both the City Wide and District Zone radio traffic. The original length of almost 40 minutes has been reduced to less than 14 minutes by eliminating blank times and radio traffic that did not concern this incident. Note that the dispatcher’s microphone is always live and as a result some of what you hear is dispatcher conversation that was not necessarily broadcast. It is included to illustrate their occasional frustration with lack of detailed information from the street. To listen, click on Play Button below:


54 Comments on “Shootout at the High Roller’s Pool Hall”

  1. Steve Peterson says:

    Great story, I remember coming to Area Four and Terry telling me the story and then you guys went out and purchased 40 cal handguns.
    I enjoyed very much listening to the dispatchers etc.
    Keep them coming Jim.

    • jimpadar says:

      I am glad you enjoyed the story Steve. Actually Mike bought a 44 Magnum revolver, still only six rounds. I opted for whatever the current S&W 9mm was, Model 39 or 59? I wanted more rounds without reloading.

  2. Phil Haskett says:

    Great story Jim, thanks for sharing the cold night in the “Windy City.”

    I’ve been retired now for almost ten years, after giving the city thirty. Sure is a good feeling being done, but do miss the fellowship of Blue!

    Take care, be safe and God bless!

  3. John Northen says:

    Great job, Jim Padar & Co.

    I also noted that two of the best dispatchers ever handled the air: Harry Hewitt from Zone 10 and John “Dogs” Dunlap from City-Wide II. Old Fillmo’ memories…

    John Northen

  4. Roy Sebastian says:

    Dont forget Marve Speryne on zone four for the 018th and 1st districts… He was great also…..

  5. mcm749 says:

    I wish my emergency calls sounded as calm as you…… Normally I sounded like ( or thought I did) like an 8 yr old girl screaming. Thanks for your stories.

  6. Kevin says:

    It’s good to see all these years later some things have not changed, like all the bosses wanting calls and notifications while the scene is still unfolding. Great tape.

  7. John says:

    Great read, Jim. I came on in the mid 80’s when COS was still at 11th St. and staffed by the Police. Those guys knew every voice on their Zone, who was on what Beat. All you had to do is say “We need help!” and those squad operators knew who it was calling, where their job was, and could probably tell what type / color building you were in. A lost era.

  8. I worked in o10 78-91 and little did I know I would be dispatched by the best – Harry Hewitt and his trusty sidekick Bruno Woltmann. Few that followed came even close! Remember – “we can all dance together but we can’t all talk…”

  9. Chris Karney says:

    Great stories,Jim.

    I look forward to reading more of them.

    Mark Kniff in Zone11 was pretty good too. A real Air Traffic Controller when it hit the fan.

  10. Jim H. says:

    At 1:53 on the tape, the Zone 10 dispatcher responds to someone in the background, “You don’t think it’s serious? You go out there and ride around with those guys for awhile, then you’ll know it’s serious!” Awesome!!

    There are still a few decent dipatchers left, but they are few and far between.

    Keep telling these stories! I have 16 years on, but I am listening intently.

    • jimpadar says:

      He was talking to his partner at the adjoining console… their mouth piece was always live for the recordings. When I heard it, I knew I HAD to leave it in!

  11. Lee Koloze says:

    Jim, thanks for the memories. I had the pleasure of working with Harry Hewitt on Zone 4 for about 10 of my 17 years at the then CCR (Central Complaint Room). Also with us on the zone were Tom St John and Bob Hynes. Those were the days of split district zones. We had all of 11, 12 and half of the 13th district. It was difficult when something was happening in 13 and a car would come on the air and ask why cars were racing past them and wanted to know what was going on. We had to lean back to Zone 3 and get the information and relay it back to the cars on Zone 4 and all done with hand written hard card tickets, no computerized aided dispatch systems. Our instant recall (and a pad of note paper on the side) was the only system we had to rely on. Oh, how times changed when after retirement I and about 50 other retired dispatchers we hired (1995) to teach and do OJT at the new OEC. After 10 years (2005) there were 11 of us still on the job in the training section. The city in its wisdom then decided that we were a liability and not an asset and let us go.

    Sorry for the rambling. Just a quick story to add to your Blog. I left the “Room” in May of ’86 and went to MMD until I retired in 1993. After returning in 1995 I was doing OJT with a new dispatcher (civilian) on Zone 9. It was the 2nd watch and after I dispatched a few jobs, an officer in 022 came on the radio and asked “Lee, is that you”? I said, “Yes…”. The next question was “where have you been”? I remembered the dry humor of Harry Hewitt and after a period of 9 years of not being on the radio, I replied. “I was on baby furlough.” Well, we all got a good laugh out of that one.

    Thanks again for trip down memory lane.

  12. Rich Jones says:

    Thanks for the memories Jim. I can still here the voices of some great Zone 2 dispatchers from years ago: Jerry Kucharski,Earl Davy,Bruce Hoffman,Rich Spetka,John Calvey,Teska.
    I`m sure I`ve forgotten a few. Thanks guys.

  13. Juan says:

    AWESOME STORY !! Thanks for sharing it ! SEMPER-FI !!!

  14. Gene Troken says:

    Jim, Got this from Northside. 7477 was my car and I believe that was me on the call. Orville Kruger was my partner. Northen thinks that two of the homicide responders were either Lenny Sykes and/or Booker T. Porter. Northen know the other two. Thanks for the memory. Gene

    • Tom Kinsella says:

      A name from my past, Orville Kruger, a mountain of a man. Knew him from Area 2 Task Force in 1966. Little known fact, Orville invented the “kel” flashlight. Built his from a lead pipe, about a foot long, D-cell batteries. Broke a bad guys arm, got a beef and that was the end of the light till someone later re-invented it and made a fortune with it.

      • Orville Kruger was/is my great uncle. He died about a year and a half ago in his home; he was found on Christmas eve by his sister (my grandmother)…I makes me smile to hear him referred to as a “mountain man” because he truly was bigger than life in size and personality. -Anyways, enough with my rambling, I just wanted to thank you for sharing that bit of information; he died before he deemed me “old enough” to hear about his time on the Chicago Police Force…

      • jimpadar says:

        Thanks for the comment on your uncle. I remember Orville from my Area 4 days. When you saw him, or heard him responding to your assist call, it was a very good feeling. He was one tough guy with a very kind manner.

  15. Ed Johnson says:

    Thank-you for sharing. Your writing is excellent and hearing the old time dispatchers was priceless for a guy with only 8 yrs on. Reading the comments of retired PO’s regarding their fond feeling for their dispatchers really illuminates a difference from then to present. I hope you old timers never listen in now. It would probably make you sick. There are exceptions. I was on an Area 1 Team 2007-10 and we spent most of our time on Zone 6 (1st Watch). Mike & Karen, the regular Z6 dispatchers, were consistently excellent. I got a few awards that they should be on too because we could not have done it without them. I also liked reading about your 8 month old in ’74. He’s a Sgt where I work now.

  16. Lee Koloze says:

    What a joy to work with Tom on (the old) Zone 2 when I was not on Zone 4. What a trooper he was. Tom had MS, in a wheel chair and we had a special foot pedal that was made for him by the radio guys that enabled him to dispatch by placing his elbow on the pedal that was placed on the desk for him to dispatch. In those days the CPD took care of their own…… No call back or disability in those days.

  17. Dave Sandlund says:

    Good job, well written.

  18. Tom says:

    I came on the job in 1965 and worked Zone 6, at that time it was 8-7-10 Dist. Jim Josley, not sure of spelling was dispatcher KBA636 Zone6. Great Guy. Then went to Area 4 and worked City Wide, John Dunlap. I swear he saved us from great bodily harm and even death on several occasions. Area 4 Homicide Dicks best guys in the world to handle your shootings. God Bless All of You.

  19. Corky Smith says:

    Thanks for sharing, brought back many memories.
    I never had the pleasure of working with the City Wide dispatchers, but while assigned to 009 Dist. from 1968-1979 I had the pleasure of working with 2 dispatchers that seem to fit the same mold as these guys, Frank, “Frankie Z”, Zbonczak, and Lloyd Hayes on the old zone 6. It seems like everyone was on the same page, except for the brass. Frank and Lloyd helped me more than once in very tight situations.

  20. KBA201 says:

    Please don’t forget about one of my favorite Zone 10 dispatchers “Stan”.

    Also anyone remember “Smiling Ed(?)” from Zone 6 with his famous “KBA636 Chicago Police Department broadcasting from beautiful downtown Chicago Zone6”? time check?

    The Citywide 2/4 dispatcher with the heavy Irish brogue from the late 70’s early 80’s was another great.

  21. Wolf says:

    Remember some of the stories form my Father , Area 5 , Uncle in dispatch in 50’s and 60’s . Have a 65 3 wheeler and was wondering if I could get permission to use the tape when showing the bike and your story . Have been trying to get convention and riot tapes they played at the Patrolmans Museum.
    He started in 47 on a trike at 6 Corners . Best part is you went home that night . Thanks for remembering one of those quiet evenings .

  22. Frank Piloto, Ret, Miami Dade Police, Miami, FL says:

    Great story! I am from Chicago but, moved to Miami in 1971 and wentinto the academy here in 1973. Retired in 2000. In February, 1974, at the time of this story, I was a rookie in my first shift after graduating from the academy. Hope to read more war stories from you.

  23. Terry Gainer says:

    Jim Padar, thank you for sharing. It brings a tear to my eye thinking of you guys and those days.

  24. Bob McCracken says:

    Jimmy, long time no see,no hear of or no know of. Nice site. You mentioned Reed the dispatcher on Zone 2. Wasn’t he the guy in the wheel chair? For some reason I do not remember him as the friendly sort. But I remember I was kinda hard to get along with, so maybe it was just my crappy personality. Jonny Eshoo my partner was the diplomat on the car.
    Bob McCracken, retired 18 Tact, A/6Rob, A1 and A/5 Hom. Sgt. 019.

  25. R. Walker says:

    Note to Tom Kinsella.
    Orville Kruger also invented one of the first helmets. He somehow put a metal cover on the inside of his uniform hat. Brings back memories.

    R.Walker, Area 2, Tsk Force

  26. Joe Miller says:

    This is incredible stuff. Ordinary people doing an extraordinary job, thank you for sharing it. My 89 year old father spent 40 yrs CPD and many years in Area 2 T/F, and loved every minute of it. Keep the stories coming!

  27. Julien Gallet says:

    Jim I had 3 tours at Maxwell, a dick in homicide 63-67, Robbery Lieut 71-73 and Intelligence Cmdr. 80-84. The one lasting memory; each time I returned, the roaches were bigger. John Dunlap was a great guy, he was instrumental in solving a double while I was at Area 6 Homicide. Thanks for the stories and keep it up. Jules Gallet

  28. JOHN MANOS says:

    I was on Citywide-2from TF years through 1,2,3,5 CID. 72-2010. I still remember Creeden banging Citywide for a good 20 minutes trying to get A#4 Youth officer Connie Lingus to respond. My first suspect had already retired from the NORTHERN part of the city.

  29. Great job Jim. Reminds me of my time at Area 4. Right on the money.

  30. Bill Reynolds says:


    I remember those days very well. I was a Sgt. in Area 6 SOG that year. I drove a 1970 Chevy, unmarked squad with all my communications securely fastened under the dash. How did we ever survive 018 running in and out of the projects with no communications.

    Bill Reynolds
    Lieut. (Ret.)

    • jimpadar says:

      Well… in an emergency when we were on the 17th floor of a Cabrini Project, we could knock on doors and beg to use the phone. If we were lucky, someone would let us in and then we had that “secret” XXX-0000 number that got us connected directly to our zone. That was good wasn’t it? WASN’T IT? Well… maybe not so much.

      Good to hear from you Bill. I hope you and yours are doing well.

  31. David Snethen says:

    Didn’t realize how much more I loved it back then. Harry was the best dispatcher I ran across in 30 years.

  32. Bill Kushner says:

    Jim, it is always a pleasure to read more of your exploits form your A/4 days. As Dave Snethen stated, “from the days the job was fun”. Stay safe my friend!

  33. Phil says:

    “Stress under fire” I just had to leave a comment on the dispatchers of old. Early 1970’s I had the opportunity to work with a fellow officer named Eugene (Gene) Hardy, who was a wagon man in the first district. he was able to show a young rookie how a wagon man worked. He was always the gentleman. Spoke to everyone as individuals, from the down-trodden alcoholics we would meet on the street and transport to the drunk tank, or to the Grey suits driving their BMW’s. He was always courteous and gentlemanly.

    Gene left the district, but didn’t go too far. He took a position with the communications section at 11th. and State and was assigned to Zone 4. He knew all the guys that he once worked with by their voices, and knowing all the streets and locations of the various businesses in the “Loop” he was first rate as a dispatcher. His demeanor was the same on the radio as it was when he was in patrol. Nothing could ruffle his feathers. He was the consummate “Cool Hand Luke!” I don’t know exactly when Gene retired but I’m sure he got many years out of the cities pension fund.

    This brings me to this point in time when I must relate that we have lost another of Chicago’s finest. Gene has passed from this life. I attended his wake held in Nov. of last year. I was able to speak with some of his relatives and relate to them some of my experiences with Gene. He would have been celebrating his 79th. birthday this month.

    Gene, from your brothers in Blue, we all miss you!

    • jimpadar says:

      Thanks for the memories, Phil. There were so many exceptional officers that I ran into over the years, some more quiet than others, but all great in their own way.

  34. Barry Felcher says:

    Jim….keep writing these great stories. It was good to see the names of Julien Gallet and John Northen. I knew them both in the 1960s and 1970s when I was a reporter at The Chicago Daily News. — Barry Felcher

  35. MaryAnn Dykema says:

    I’m just a “citizen” who enjoys your writing and great stories. What I like the most is that you aren’t trying to sound like a “big shot”, just telling it like it was. Lt. Bob Gerwig (ret) put me onto your site and I’m thankful to him for that. I find it heart warming to see how much you guys in blue loved and appreciated each other.
    I have a nephew and a niece-in-law on the job and a cousin who retired last year. The city has certainly changed a great deal and I have been gone from Chicago for almost 30 years now but return to visit family often. I Have great memories of growing up there but I am afraid it will never be like it was back then. It was a great place to grow up (southside 55th and Morgan), Visitation Parish in the 50’s.

    • jimpadar says:

      Hi MaryAnn,

      Thanks for reading the blog and double thanks for you kind comments. I am glad to have “citizen” readers. I think, just maybe, I am able to offer them a peek behind the scenes of policing in an urban environment.

  36. Ed Koop says:

    Hey let’s not forget Dick Ward from Zone 10 radio and his ever famous Warren G. Harding Award of excellence given out at 0600hrs. He kept everyone loose and awake with trivia all night long when things were slow. Guys never ever hit the medical because you were afraid that you would miss something. I worked 011 with 2 of the finest bosses ever to wear the CPD uniform. Captain George Gannon and Lt.(at the time) Patrolman Joe McCarthy. It was a great district to work and all of the guys were stand up.

    • jimpadar says:

      When I look back, I think there was definitely more good than bad. Good bosses (for the most part) and good folk to work with. A lot can never be posted… 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s